The Hawkesbury Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is encouraging citizens to “Lock It or Lose It”. The Lock It or Lose It campaign is used to remind people that leaving your vehicle unlocked may increase your chances of becoming a victim of theft.
From January to October 7, 2022, there have been nearly 56 theft of vehicles in the Prescott County area.
Some of the vehicles targeted are newer model:
· Ford F – 150
· Dodge Ram
· Lexus SUV
· Toyota Highlander
· Toyota Tacoma
· Jeep Grand Cherokee
· Jeep Wrangler
During the campaign, OPP officers and OPP Auxiliary officers may check parked vehicles in private driveways, public places such as shopping malls and/or public parking lots to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view. An officer will place a small notice on the vehicle that has been checked to point out if safety precautions were neglected and to offer simple crime-prevention tips for the driver to protect the vehicle against theft.
You can help prevent theft by following some crime prevention tips:
· Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
· If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
· Park other vehicles behind your high value vehicle to act as a deterrent to thieves.
· Install an aftermarket anti-theft device in your vehicle in a location not easily visible.
· Install a third party GPS tracking device in the vehicle.
· Keep your vehicle key fobs in a Faraday Box.
· Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
Be sure to take precautions to protect your vehicle and vehicle contents from theft.