With summer comes the return of mosquitoes and the risk of being infected by the West Nile Virus. Every year, the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) encourages individuals to protect themselves and to make a habit of eliminating all mosquito breeding grounds.
“West Nile Virus is a concern in our area, and people should be aware and take the necessary precautions to protect themselves and their families from mosquito bites when they spend time outdoors,” says Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, Medical Officer of Health at the EOHU.
When outdoors, the EOHU recommends that you:
- Wear shoes, socks, long pants, and a long-sleeved shirt when outdoors for long periods or when mosquitoes are most active from dusk to dawn
- Wear light-coloured clothing in tight-woven fabric
- Use mesh bug jackets or hats
- Consider the use of mosquito repellents used according to directions
- Use mosquito netting or screened structures when sleeping outdoors
To help control mosquito populations, you are encouraged to:
- Clean up and empty outdoor containers of stagnant water such as old tires, wheelbarrows, barrels, etc.
- Change water in bird baths at least once per week
- Check swimming pools and make sure the pool’s pump is circulating
- Turn over wading pools when not in use
- Check and clear eavestroughs and drains to clear obstructions
- Make sure drainage ditches are clear
- Check flat roofs frequently for standing water
- Carry out regular yard and lawn maintenance: collect or mulch any leaves or lawn cuttings, etc., that can serve as a food source for mosquito larvae
- Turn over compost frequently and fill in low depression areas in lawns
- Trim dense shrubbery where mosquitoes like to rest
For more information on how to avoid being infected with the West Nile Virus during mosquito season, visit the Eastern Ontario Health Unit’s website at www.eohu.ca and click on the My Environment section, or call 613-933-1375 or 1 800 267-7120.
EXPERIENCE Vankleek Hill
Do you enjoy reading local news as it happens? Then NOW is the time to subscribe! We have a FABULOUS subscription offer for you!!! SUBSCRIBE to our print and e-edition for only 81 cents per week, that’s just $42 (HST incl) per year! Then choose your $5 voucher to redeem at a LOCAL business. Participating businesses are: Apex Escape Rooms, Beau’s Brewery, Broken Kettle Bakery & Barkery, Jade Garden, Nicko’s Resto Bar, Pink Bow Tie, Trillium Tea Room, Vankleek Cottage and VKH Massage Clinic.
Act now. An offer this good won’t last long!
CLICK HERE to subscribe and choose your voucher.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
Latest posts by Press Release (see all)
- Star Gazing – The Gemini Twins - February 4, 2019
- François St-Amour honoured at the 2018 UCPR Warden’s Banquet - November 26, 2018
- Boisés Est workshop October 27 on woodlot management with a First Nations perspective - October 18, 2018