The cause of a fire which broke out at Levac Propane in St-Isidore at around 6 p.m. on Tuesday evening, March 6, 2018 remains unknown.
According to The Nation Fire Chief Tobias Hovey, the fire was in the tank-refurbishing building and with the coordinated efforts of three of The Nation’s fire stations (St-Isidore, Fournier and St-Bernardin) and also with the assistance of the Casselman fire department, the fire was contained to primarily the attic area of the building.
Throughout the fire, The Nation’s two remaining stations (St-Albert and Limoges) supported the call by relocating trucks for coverage and supplying extra equipment and refreshments to assist in controlling this fire.
At the peak of the fire, 45 firefighters were on scene and three pumper trucks, one ladder truck and two rescue trucks were on hand to combat the fire, Hovey said.
“We are fortunate that at this location we have installed a water source in an unused quarry for water supply and were able to run high volume hoses to supply the trucks to combat the fire,” Hovey related, adding, “There were no injuries during or because of this fire. Workers had already left for the day and it was a couple of the office staff who saw sparks coming out of the roof of the building who called 911.”
The fire was under control approximately two hours after the original call.
On Wednesday, firefighters finished up at the scene at about 6 p.m.
“As expected in this type of fire, we were not able to find the cause of the fire but are confident that it did start in the truss or attic area of the building,” said Hovey in an email on Thursday morning.
The firefighters did leave a fire watch on the building overnight on Tuesday into Wednesday for two reasons; in case there was a flare-up of fire that they were not able to see under tin or in walls (which happened twice overnight) and also to keep the continuity of the scene so they could return in the daylight and investigate the fire, Hovey said.
There were no explosions or venting of propane tanks during the fighting of the fire.
A section of St-Catherine Street in St-Isidore was closed as a precaution for public safety during the fire.
The road was later reopened for traffic.
While you are here, we have a small ask.
More people are reading The Review than ever before — across our many platforms. So far, we have not put up a paywall to limit the stories you can read. We want to keep you in the news loop. But advertising revenues are increasingly going to the big two: you know who they are. If you value The Review’s independent, local community journalism, or you value the many ways we support dozens of community organizations in their endeavours, consider supporting our work. It takes time, effort and professional smarts to stay on top of community news and present well-researched, objective news articles on issues which matter to you.
If you read stories on this website, or you have come here from an Instant Article post on Facebook, think about subscribing. It would be a vote of confidence for the work that we do, and for the future well-being of your community.
Latest posts by Louise Sproule (see all)
- In Clarence-Rockland: One man is dead, one man in custody; investigation begins - November 6, 2018
- Town of Hawkesbury seeking residents to serve on town committees - November 6, 2018
- Public meeting for Hawkesbury’s 2019 budget on November 13 - November 6, 2018