Police concluded their search for 71-year-old Yvon Lacasse (left) after his body was was found in Arundel on Wednesday evening. Lacasse's vehicle was stolen by the suspect in a Quebec amber alert case. Right, a reconstruction of an unknown man seen with the suspect on Thursday night, who has not yet come forward. (Photos: La Sûreté du Québec)

Boy found, suspect charged but two witnesses still missing in Quebec amber alert case

Police continue to search for two important witnesses in an amber alert case which began last Thursday, September 14, and which is also linked to a homicide case in Saint-Eustache, Quebec.

Yvon Lacasse, a 71-year-old man from Gore, Que., is missing after having his vehicle stolen by the suspect in the case, while, the second witness, an unknown bearded man believed to be in his 40’s, was last seen with the suspect in Rouyn-Noranda Thursday night.

The suspect, Ugo Fredette, and the missing boy were found together on Friday in Ontario. Fredette was driving Lacasse’s Honda CR-V when police arrested him.

The Sûreté du Québec​ have set up a command post in Lachute, Que., as they expand their search for Lacasse. Police say Fredette could have dropped off Lacasse as he drove through Lachute, before entering Ontario.

Quebec provincial police urge anyone with information regarding either of the two missing witnesses to come forward. Those with information are asked to contact 911 or 1-800-659-4264.

The case to date

The amber alert began last Thursday night, after Véronique Barbe was found dead in her home in Saint-Eustache and her six-year-old boy was reported missing. Police considered Barbe’s partner, Ugo Fredette, the prime suspect in both cases, at that time.

The alert lasted until Friday, when the missing boy was found with Fredette in Dacre, Ontario. Police placed Fredette under arrest, while the boy was transported back to Quebec, under the care of provincial youth protection services.

Quebec prosecutors have since charged Fredette with second-degree murder. He remains in an Ottawa hospital after attempting to commit suicide while in custody.

The victim’s cause of death has not yet been released by police.


3 Months for only 99¢! Click here to join now!