UPDATED 3:55 p.m. on 03/29/2023

Rue Principale in downtown Lachute was closed during the afternoon of Tuesday, March 28, and the area was evacuated due to a gas leak.

Rue Principale was closed between rue  Bellingham in the west and almost to rue Clyde in the east for several hours.

While gas company personnel repaired the leak, an emergency facility for affected residents was opened in the council chamber at city hall.

Electricity in the area affected by the gas leak was temporarily disconnected as a safety precaution.

Residents were gradually allowed to return home after firefighters are inspected buildings to be sure it was safe for occupants to return.

The Ville de Lachute emphasized there was no health risk to the community from the gas leak.