The Township of Champlain is warning residents that coyotes have been spotted near L’Orignal Village on Longueuil Street.
The township has posted a notice on its website, asking residents in the area to please be careful, keep pets nearby and watch their children when they are outside. The township’s wildlife controller is trying to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.
In the meantime, the township is offering the following tips:
- DO NOT FEED THEM!
- Pick up fruit that has fallen from trees.
- Keep your household garbage in animal-resistant bins.
- Protect your pets and children:
Always keep an eye on your children or pets when they are outside.
- Avoid feeding your pets or taking food outside.
- Keep your dog on a leash or in a fenced area.
- Keep your cat indoors, particularly at night.
- If you encounter a coyote:
If you encounter a coyote:
- Do not approach it.
- Give the coyote the space it needs to move away.
- Always maintain visual contact with the coyote.
- SLOWLY walk away, but never turn your back on the coyote.
- Make noise or yell to scare it.
- Call 911.