The local flu vaccination program in the Laurentides region of Québec will begin on November 1.
According to guidelines from the Institut national de santé publique du Québec (INSPQ), vaccination is recommended and offered free of charge to people who are more at risk due to existing conditions or their age.
Those risk groups include:
- Children aged 6 months to 17 years with certain chronic diseases
- Adults with chronic diseases including pregnant women, regardless of the stage of their pregnancy
- Pregnant women in the second and third trimesters of their pregnancy
- People aged 75 and over
In order to reduce the risk of infection, vaccination is also offered free of charge the following people:
- Relatives who live in the same household as a child under six months old, or a family member at high risk of hospitalization or death, as well as their caregivers
- health workers
Other target groups are able to be vaccinated at pharmacies.
This year, due to COVID-19, people will be required to book an appointment for their flu shot online via the clicsante.ca site or by phone at 1 888 664-2555 to get vaccinated. No appointment will only be given at vaccination sites.
To ensure the safety of all users and health professionals, preventive measures and physical distancing will be implemented in vaccination sites, including:
- Disinfection after each user
- Compulsory wearing of a face cover for the user and the recommended protective equipment for the professional
- Control of preventive measures and traffic by security agents
- Compulsory hand washing on entry and exit
- No queue at the entrance, people must arrive at the exact time of the meeting or wait in their vehicle
- Increased housekeeping at vaccination sites
- If possible, people should come alone to their appointment
- People will be advised not to show up for their appointment if they have symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or if they are in administrative segregation.
For all information related to influenza vaccination, visit the CISSS des Laurentides regional health authority website at: santelaurentides.gouv.qc.ca.