September began with 123 cumulative cases of COVID-19 across the MRC d’Argenteuil, which was an increase from 119 cases on Friday, August 28, according to the CISSS des Laurentides regional health authority. As of September 1, there were eight active cases across Argenteuil, which was unchanged since August 28, but was still an increase from four cases on August 25.
The CISSS des Laurentides reported on August 27 that there were less than five active cases of COVID-19 among all nine municipalities in the MRC d’Argenteuil.
There were no COVID-19 outbreaks at long-term care or other group living facilities in the MRC d’Argenteuil as of September 1, and the number of COVID-19 deaths in the MRC d’Argenteuil remained at nine.
Québec COVID-19 statistics
As of September 1, the cumulative total of confirmed COVID-19 cases across Québec was 62,614, which was an increase from 62,124 on August 28. On August 31, the Institut national de santé publique du Québec (INSPQ) reported that 55,438 cases across Québec were resolved. That means approximately 88.5 per cent of the 62,614 cases were resolved and that there were approximately 7,176 active cases across Québec on September 1.
There were 110 COVID-19 patients in hospitals across Québec on September 1 and 20 of those patients were in intensive care.
Across Québec as of September 1, there had been 5,762 confirmed deaths due to COVID-19.
Classes at most public schools have resumed across Québec this week and COVID-19 has already become a challenge. By the second day of school, 20 teachers were in quarantine at an unspecified location in the Laurentides region, one school was temporarily shut down and students from several schools were sent home.
The increase in COVID-19 cases across Québec is raising concerns about the severity of a potential second wave this fall. On August 31, Premier François Legault expressed frustration with the increasing number of Québec residents who are not following physical distancing, hand washing, and mask rules.
Legault said that he does not want to close schools and that everyone has to be careful in order for children to be able to remain in school.
Minister of Health Christian Dubé said that stronger enforcement may be necessary and that he would not hesitate to re-impose more serious restrictions if required.
Legault said that Québec residents should avoid indoor gatherings, even with friends and family during the next few weeks.