The COVID-19 outbreak at Maxville Manor is now over and as of Friday, August 14, there were no active outbreaks of COVID-19 in long-term care facilities and group living institutions across the territory of the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU).
The EOHU reported 180 cumulative cases of COVID-19 within its territory as of Friday, August 14. Out of that number, 165 cases were declared resolved.
Across the EOHU’s territory on August 14, there were only four active cases of COVID-19. Two of the active cases and 103 resolved cases were among residents of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell. There were two active cases and 35 resolved cases among residents of Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry counties on August 14. Also on August 14, there were zero active cases and 25 resolved cases in the City of Cornwall.
One COVID-19 patients from the EOHU’s territory remained in hospital as of August 14 and no patients were in intensive care.
The number of deaths due to COVID-19 within the EOHU’s jurisdiction has remained unchanged at 11 for 10 weeks.
During his Thursday, August 13 briefing, EOHU Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis said that the health unit continues to work with the school boards across its jurisdiction on plans to allow students and staff to safely return to classrooms in September. He was confident that nearly $500 million in funding announced by the Ontario government on August 13 to assist with better physical distancing and ventilation improvements would help address concerns over those issues.
Roumeliotis said that the EOHU has received funding to hire nine additional public health nurses to assist with COVID-19 prevention in schools across its territory.
As of August 14, 34,155 people had been tested at all six COVID-19 testing and assessment centres located across the EOHU’s area of jurisdiction. The facilities are located in Hawkesbury, Alexandria, Casselman, Rockland, Cornwall, and Winchester. Paramedics are also providing home testing for people who cannot visit one of the testing and assessment centres.
The Ministry of Health had not updated its COVID-19 statistics as of the afternoon of August 14. However, the cumulative number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across Ontario as of August 13 was 40,459. However, Ministry of Health had listed 36,772 or 90.9 per cent of the cases as resolved.
Across Ontario as of August 14, 41 COVID-19 patients were in hospital. Out of those 41 patients, 17 were in intensive care, and nine patients were on ventilators.
There had been 2,788 deaths due to COVID-19 across Ontario as of Friday, August 14.