The United Counties of Prescott and Russell (UCPR) reports that there are no cases of COVID-19 at the Prescott and Russell Residence, following 299 tests performed on all residents and employees last Friday.
In total, 139 residents and 160 employees were tested as part of a proactive screening procedure at the Prescott and Russell Residence. Some employees were not tested, either because they are on sick leave or are working from home.
It should be recalled that on April 21, the Province of Ontario initiated proactive surveillance testing in all long-term care homes, including asymptomatic individuals, to understand the current status of COVID-19. In accordance with this directive, the community paramedics of the Prescott and Russell Emergency Services began the active screening of several long-term care homes.
“We are extremely pleased and relieved with this great result, and grateful for the hard work of our employees, the attention paid to safety procedures, inside and outside the Residence, as well as to our infection control policies and procedures,” stated Alexandre Gorman, Administrator of the Prescott and Russell Residence.
“We have placed several specific measures in place to achieve this result, and I would like to acknowledge the excellent work of Ms. Paule Juillet, our Director of Nursing and the employee in charge of infection control, in order to mitigate the risks of any spread. Without her work, we certainly wouldn’t be in this position,” added Mr. Gorman.
On March 17, an outbreak of Coronavirus (Not COVID-19) & Rhinovirus was reported at the Prescott and Russell Residence.
Update: as of May 13, 2020, the outbreak, classified as respiratory, was declared over.
Other measures include:
- The implementation of the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) restrictions as soon as the directive was received, as well as an excellent communication with the EOHU;
- The excellent work of management in supporting its employees and maintaining good communication at all times;
- The refusal of transfers between hospitals and the Residence unless a negative result was received;
- The implementation of a new schedule to ensure active screening at all times;
- The creation of a new employee room, as well as new dining rooms for residents, in order to respect social distancing; and
- The mandatory wearing of masks at all times for employees.