A 66-year-old Embrun man is facing multiple charges after the OPP stopped a vehicle during a regular police patrol.
On August 15, 2019 shortly before 8:00 p.m., a Russell County OPP officer on patrol observed a vehicle that was in infraction to the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) on Route 500 West in Limoges, Ontario.
During the investigation, the officer utilized the Approved Screening Device (ASD) on the driver.
The investigation revealed that the driver was in contravention of the Tobacco Tax Act, resulting in a search of the vehicle. The search uncovered nearly 9000 illegal cigarettes and over $1900 of Canadian currency. The cigarettes seized had a total value of nearly $18,000.
As a result of the investigation, a 66-year-old Embrun man was arrested and charged with:
• Operation while impaired – blood alcohol concentration (80 plus) CC 320.14(1)(b);
• Operation while impaired – alcohol and drugs CC 320.14(1)(a);
• Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime over $5000 – in Canada CC 354(1)(a);
• Possess unmarked fine cut tobacco for sale TTA 29(1) and
• Possess unmarked fine cut tobacco TTA 29(2)
The accused received a 90 day driver’s license suspension and the vehicle was also impounded for seven days.
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in L’Orignal on October 3, 2019.
You could win TWO weekend passes, value of $90, to Beau’s Oktoberfest 2019!
To enter, follow these simple instructions:
- Take a photo at our selfie station outside of our offices at 76 Main Street E, then post it on Facebook or Instagram.
- Use hashtag #VKHReviewContest in your post.
- Tag us in your photo! @vkhreview
Be sure to follow @vkhreview on Instagram and Facebook! Contest ends September 16, 2019 at 12 p.m. A random winner will be chosen and announced on our social media pages. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram or Facebook.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
READ LOCAL. LOVE LOCAL. PLAY LOCAL.
Latest posts by Louise Sproule (see all)
- The Nation violated Municipal Act, but was okay on a few other fronts - September 9, 2019
- Westbound on/off ramps at Highway 417/Highway 34 interchange will be closed for one month starting September 16 - September 6, 2019
- 26-year-old Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts woman missing - September 6, 2019