Here are a few regular activities and special events coming up at the Glengarry Pioneer Museum in Dunvegan.
Fibre Fridays – The Twistle Guild of Glengarry will be onsite every Friday through the month of July and August between 10am and 2:00pm. They welcome visitors to come learn how to spin wool, weave, knit and much more! They are talented individuals who welcome others to learn their craft.
July 6 – 14th Art Show – Glengarry Artists’ Collective – Almost 100 works of art by 31 local artists in a variety of mediums. Art Show is free with $5 museum admission. Vernissage is this Saturday, July 6, 1:00 – 4:00pm.
Thursday, July 11, 7pm – Classical Music Under the Stars is back to feature local, Noel Campbell on cello with violinists Anastasia Virlan and Olga Semionova from Montreal. Bring a lawn chair, pack a picnic, browse through the museum buildings (and art show!) and enjoy the concert. Suggested donation of $15/person.
Sunday, July 21, 2pm – Guest Speaker/demonstrator on Indigenous Basket Making. $10 or $5 for museum members. Optional workshop will follow the demonstration where participants will learn to make a woven bookmark to take home. Contact the museum to register for the workshop and get more information.
Now that summer in in full swing, the museum has a full staff of four seasonal employees available for tours when they are not busy working on various projects to advance the museum’s collection and the interpretation of Glengarry history for the community. Lara MacPherson, Collections and Research assistant has re-organized the museum’s weekly blogs which have been happening seasonally since 2013. Read the blogs here: gpm-artifacts.blogspot.ca
Some of the projects going on behind the scenes could use the assistance of volunteers.
You could win TWO weekend passes, value of $90, to Beau’s Oktoberfest 2019!
To enter, follow these simple instructions:
- Take a photo at our selfie station outside of our offices at 76 Main Street E, then post it on Facebook or Instagram.
- Use hashtag #VKHReviewContest in your post.
- Tag us in your photo! @vkhreview
Be sure to follow @vkhreview on Instagram and Facebook! Contest ends September 16, 2019 at 12 p.m. A random winner will be chosen and announced on our social media pages. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram or Facebook.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
READ LOCAL. LOVE LOCAL. PLAY LOCAL.
- Oral History – The Glengarry Pioneer Museum is looking for a history buff (or two) who would like to listen to oral histories that were recorded in the 1970s and early ‘80s of prominent locals such as Ewan Ross, Dorothy Dumbrille, Olive O’Hara, John F. Sinclair, and others. The project would involve creating a table of contents for each interview with exact time stamps for each topic. This will help researchers know what each recording is about and go directly to the topics they are interested in. Staff will provide training.
- Translating – If there are any French speakers out there who are comfortable translating from English to French for a themed Education Kit, the museum would be most grateful. The kits provide hands-on artifacts, activities and suggested teaching plans for teachers or other interested organizations who want to borrow the kits. The current kit being created is called “The Games of Glengarry” – the history of sports in this area.
Latest posts by Louise Sproule (see all)
- The Nation violated Municipal Act, but was okay on a few other fronts - September 9, 2019
- Westbound on/off ramps at Highway 417/Highway 34 interchange will be closed for one month starting September 16 - September 6, 2019
- 26-year-old Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts woman missing - September 6, 2019