On April 2, 2019, at approximately 12:15 a.m., a Russell County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer stopped a suspicious vehicle on Highway 417 eastbound near the Casselman, Ontario exit.
The investigation revealed that the driver was in contravention of the Ontario Cannabis Act, resulting in a search of the vehicle. The search uncovered nearly 5000 packets each containing one gram of concentrated cannabis, several containers of cannabis resin and over $4,000 of Canadian currency. The drugs seized had a total value of nearly $170,000.
As a result of the investigation, a 24-year-old Cornwall man was arrested and charged with:
• Possession of illicit cannabis CA 8(1)(b);
• Possession for the purpose of distributing CA 9(2);
• Possessing cannabis for the purpose of selling CA 10(2);
• Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime under $5000 – in Canada CC 354(1)(a);
• Drive vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available CCA2017 12(1) and
• Possession of over 30g dried cannabis (or equivalent) in a public place CA 8(1)(a)
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in L’Orignal on April 24, 2019.