Glengarry Pioneer Museum is ramping up for June with MacLeod exhibits and Clan Gathering, followed by a “Smith-In” Blacksmith weekend
The Glengarry Pioneer Museum opened its doors on the May long weekend and has events and bookings every weekend in June.
First up is the 82nd annual Clan MacLeod picnic on Saturday, June 2. That’s right, the Clan MacLeod Society of Glengarry was the first MacLeod Society outside of Scotland and have been meeting in Dunvegan since 1936. To mark this long relationship, the Glengarry Pioneer Museum is launching a new temporary exhibit about the MacLeods which will highlight many artifacts from the collection and shine a light on their story of settlement dating back to 1794. The Clan MacLeod picnic is a potluck for all those of “kith and kin”. It starts at 11:30 on June 2 in the museum’s pavilion and features music, dancing and awards. All are welcome. The accompanying exhibit will remain on view for the duration of the summer and into the fall.
On the weekend of June 9 – 10, the museum will host a “Smith-In” Blacksmith festival. Twenty blacksmiths from across Ontario, Quebec and the U.S.A. will bring their hammers, forges, and amazing talents to the museum. The museum will also unveil its latest acquisition – a replica 1812 era forge cart typical of what would have been used during the War of 1812 and into the 1840s. In addition to loads of demonstrations, there will be vendors and refreshments available. The Smith-in runs on Saturday and Sunday between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm.
The Glengarry Pioneer Museum will be open on weekends only until June 12th, after which it will be open six days a week, from Tuesday to Sunday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. The museum season which runs to the end of September is filled with fun special events such as a historical driving tour (June 16), guest speakers, textile weekend, art show, live music, Fall Festival, 1812 Living History weekend, and even paranormal investigations! There is something new at each event and more details can be found at www.glengarrypioneermuseum.ca, Facebook, or by calling the museum at 613-527-5230.
The museum is located in the center of Dunvegan on County Road 24 (Dunvegan Road) at the crossroad with County Road 30 (Greenfield Road).