In July 2017, the Township of Champlain created two sources of funding for the community: the Community Grant which is funding provided directly to the non-profit organization in question and the Facility Usage Grant provides use of the Township’s community halls free of charge.
The purpose of both programs is to deliver a fair and transparent process for financial assistance to non-profit, community-based organizations that provide direct programs, services, or activities that enhance the quality of life for Champlain residents in the areas of social services and health, arts, culture, heritage, recreation, or the environment. The funding programs are further defined as project/events, activities, or programs that support/sustain promote, inform/educate, celebrate, preserve and/or provide access to the areas mentioned above.
To be eligible for funding, applicants must be incorporated or unincorporated not for profit organization and must be located and conduct the majority of activities within the geographic boundaries of the Township of Champlain. What or who is not eligible: individuals, for-profit businesses, organization’s with political affiliations, faith organizations where service/activities include the promotion and/or required adherence to a faith, hospitals, clinic-based services or medical treatment programs, School boards, primary and secondary schools, post secondary institutions, organizations receiving funding from senior levels of government, costs to cover deficits and projects already in progress.
Each year, applicants have until October 15 to apply for funding for programs, services, or activities that will occur the following year. In 2017, over 50 applications were received requesting funding for 2018 and all were carefully analyzed by the Economic Development Committee made-up of the Mayor and four Councillors. In 2018, the Township of Champlain is proud to share that close to $23,000 was donated to local non-profit organizations under the Community Grant program and $7,400 of free hall rental was donated under the Facility Usage Grant program, making it a total of approximately $31, 000 of seed money or support for specific local purpose. This amount does not include the $4,200 in miscellaneous requests for funding and $2,400 in bursary support that the Township also contributes.
Community Grant Recipients for 2018
- Vankleek Hill Cougars (Junior C) – $500
- Vankleek Hill Sunshine Euchre Club – $150
- Ski-Vent Clic – $500
- Arbor Gallery Cultural Centre – $500
- Vankleek Hill Curling Club – $600
- Vankleek Hill Agricultural Society – $1,500
- Vankleek Hill District Historical Society – $4,000
- Higginson Tower Committee – $4,000
- Vankleek Hill Business and Merchant Association – $4,000
- Vankleek Hill Golden Age Club – $150
- Community Assistance Fund (VKH Foodbank) – $1,000
- Banque alimentaire de L’Orignal – $1,000
- Ancienne Prison de L’Orignal Old Jail – $4,000
- Patrimoine L’Orignal-Longueuil Heritage – $1,000
Facility Usage Grant Recipients for 2018
- Vankleek Hill Cougars – $200
- Canadian Cancer Society – Russell Gauley Breakfast – $1,205
- Vankleek Hill & District Horticultural Society – $1,336
- Services communautaires de Prescott et Russell – $1, 306
- Club de L’Amicale du Village de L’Orignal Inc. – $2, 724
- Vankleek Hill Golden Age Club – $142
- Eastern Prescott Russell Minor Hockey Association – $200
- Excellent Events – Breakfast with Santa – $142
- Canada Day Softball Tournament – $115
For more information on these two programs, please visit www.champlain.ca to access the Community and Facility Usage Grant Policy.
EXPERIENCE Vankleek Hill
Do you enjoy reading local news as it happens? Then NOW is the time to subscribe! We have a FABULOUS subscription offer for you!!! SUBSCRIBE to our print and e-edition for only 81 cents per week, that’s just $42 (HST incl) per year! Then choose your $5 voucher to redeem at a LOCAL business. Participating businesses are: Apex Escape Rooms, Beau’s Brewery, Broken Kettle Bakery & Barkery, Jade Garden, Nicko’s Resto Bar, Pink Bow Tie, Trillium Tea Room, Vankleek Cottage and VKH Massage Clinic.
Act now. An offer this good won’t last long!
CLICK HERE to subscribe and choose your voucher.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
Latest posts by [email protected] (see all)
- Champlain Winter Carnival – 2019 edition on February 9 and 10 - January 21, 2019
- New Community Grants available in Champlain Township! - May 18, 2018