At approximately 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 15, Sûreté du Québec officers from the MRC d’Argenteuil post noticed a fire on the balcony of the second floor of a four-storey apartment building on Avenue d’Argenteuil in Lachute. The fire was starting to spread around the building.  The officers sounded the siren on their vehicle to wake the occupants and unlock the main door for the police to access the building. The police quickly climbed to the balcony and were able to contain the fire with an extinguisher. The fire department attended to make sure the fire was under control. Fortunately, no one was injured because of the officers’ prompt intervention.

Initial reports indicated that it was an accidental fire and appeared to have been caused by a cigarette butt thrown into a flowerpot.