On March 31, 2021, shortly after 12:30 a.m., a Russell County OPP officer observed a parked vehicle on the shoulder of County Road 17 in Rockland. The officer stopped to conduct a wellbeing check on the driver.
The investigation revealed that the driver was in contravention of the Ontario Cannabis Act, resulting in a search of the vehicle. The search uncovered a quantity of suspected packages of cannabis edibles, Indica cannabis vape pens and fresh marijuana. The drugs seized had a total value of nearly $1,375. An amount of nearly $1,900 of Canadian currency was also seized.
As a result of the investigation, a 17-year-old, from Ottawa was charged under the Criminal Code of Canada and the Cannabis Control Act, with:
- Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime under $5,000 – in Canada
- Possession of over 5g of dried cannabis (or equivalent) by youth
- Possession for the purpose of distributing
- Possession cannabis for the purpose of selling
- Person under 19 years – possess cannabis
- Have care or control of vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available
The accused is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in L’Orignal at a later date. The identity of the accused cannot be released under terms of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA).