The former school building in Lefaivre is in its final days. A demolition crew is tearing down the old École primaire catholique Saint-Joseph building in the village this week. The school closed in 2013 and was acquired by the Township of Alfred and Plantagenet in 2016. The building was constructed in 1954 and expanded in 1964 and 1969. Two to three generations of some local families attended the school.
Under the township’s Recreation Master Plan, the goal is to turn the former school property into a waterfront park that will enhance the village of Lefaivre for residents and visitors. The local Lions Club has already proposed ideas for the park to township council.
Ideas for the park are being welcomed by the township. Please send all suggestions to [email protected] .
The Township of Alfred and Plantagenet has assured residents that keeping the hill behind the school available for tobogganing during the winter will remain a priority.