As of press time, the United Counties of Prescott and Russell reported that five people have died as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak at the Prescott and Russell Residence in Hawkesbury.
As of October 26, there were 64 active cases of COVID-19 at the 146-bed long-term care facility. Residents composed 36 cases and the remaining 28 cases were in employees. There were 43 resolved cases.
Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis said on Monday afternoon that another round of COVID-19 testing will be carried out on residents and employees at the Residence this week.
Roumeliotis also said that adequate staffing levels were maintained at the Prescott and Russell Residence during the previous weekend because of assistance from paramedics and Red Cross personnel.
There were four other COVID-19 outbreaks in effect at long-term care and retirement facilities under EOHU jurisdiction as of October 27. There were at The Palace Retirement Home in Alexandria, Lancaster Long-Term Care, Sandfield Place Retirement Home in Cornwall, and St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre (Kane House) in Cornwall.
Local cases and restrictions
As of Tuesday, October 27, there were 218 active cases of COVID-19 across the jurisdiction of the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU).
On Monday, October 26, a special order under given by Roumeliotis under Section 22 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act took effect which places additional restrictions on the number of customers and infection control protocols at certain businesses across the EOHU’s territory, effective Monday, October 26. No businesses are being closed.
The order limits dance class attendance to 10 people and no more than 50 people in an indoor fitness facility. Physical distancing and masks at both types of facilities are required.
At restaurants, bars, and other establishments serving food, no more than 100 patrons are permitted, indoors and outdoors. At banquet halls, the number of people is limited to 50 indoors and 100 outdoors. No more than six people are allowed to sit together at an indoor or outdoor table in any establishment. Physical distancing in all lineups must be maintained.
At hair stylists, barber shops, estheticians, and tattoo shops, all outdoor customer lines must be physically distanced with individuals wearing masks.
The measures are an alternative to moving the EOHU’s territory to a modified version of Ontario’s Stage Two of regulations for businesses and services. The territory technically remains under Stage Three.
Schools and childcare facilities
The Ontario government reported COVID-19 cases connected with the following schools and childcare facilities under EOHU jurisdiction on Tuesday, October 27.
One child at Centre éducatif Les Petits Trésors-Pavillon Alfred.
One child at Centre éducatif Les Petits Trésors-Garderie St-Albert.
One student at Rockland District High School.
One unidentified case at Mother Theresa Elementary School in Russell.
One staff member at École élémentaire catholique Embrun-Pavillon St-Jean/Pavillon La Croisée.
Three students at Holy Trinity Catholic Secondary School in Cornwall.
Two children at Centre éducatif C.R.F.E. in Cornwall
Hospital, deaths, testing
There were six COVID-19 patients from the EOHU’s jurisdiction in hospital as of October 27, and two patients were in intensive care.
The number of COVID-19 deaths across the EOHU territory as of October 27 was 17.
At the six COVID-19 testing and assessment centres and by paramedics across the EOHU territory, 73,008 COVID-19 tests had been performed as of October 27.
According to the Ontario Ministry of Health, there were 10,521 active cases of COVID-19 across the province as of October 26, out of a cumulative 72,051 cases. There were 827, or 1.2 per cent more active cases on October 26 than on October 25.
The Ministry reported that 61,530 or 85.4 per cent of cumulative cases were resolved as of October 26.
There were 312 COVID-19 patients in hospital across Ontario as of October 26. Out of those 312 patients, 75 were in intensive care, and 52 patients were on ventilators.
There had been 3,103 deaths due to COVID-19 across Ontario as of October 26, composing 4.3 per cent of all cumulative cases.