The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) East Region Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) has seized illegal drugs and weapons in Hawkesbury.
On October 23, 2020, members of the Street Crime Unit, assisted by the OPP Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU) and OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT), executed a search warrant at an apartment on Spence Avenue.
Officers seized a quantity of suspected methamphetamine and crack cocaine, as well cannabis. Investigators also seized a loaded handgun, brass knuckles, nearly $3,000 in Canadian currency, and other items typically associated with drug trafficking. One person was arrested at the scene.
A 56-year-old Hawkesbury man has been charged with:
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose – Criminal Code (CC) sec. 88
- Possession of a prohibited or restricted weapon – CC sec. 93(a)
- Possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm – CC sec. 95(a)
- Fail to comply with a probation order – CC sec. 733.1(1)
- Careless storage of a firearm – CC sec. 86(1)
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) sec. 5(2)
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance – CDSA sec. 4(1)
- Possession of illicit cannabis – Cannabis Act (CA) sec. 8(1)(b)
- Possession for the purpose of distributing – CA sec. 9(2)
The accused has been released from custody and is scheduled to appear at Ontario Court of Justice in L’Orignal on December 23, 2020.