The Household Hazardous Waste Depot offered by the Régie Intermunicipale Argenteuil Deux-Montagnes (RIADM), which was formerly located at 651 du chemin Félix-Touchette in Lachute, has moved to the town of Lachute’s Ecocentre. The move means that citizens of Lachute, Brownsburg-Chatham, Saint-André-d´Argenteuil and Saint-Placide will be able to use the hazardous waste depot all year round. The move took effect on July 14.
The opening hours of the depot will be the same as those of the Ecocentre (see the schedule on the Lachute municipal website). The new depot is meant to be more accessible and offer better opening hours so that users can more easily dispose of materials that cannot be deposited in the blue, green and brown bins.
To access the household hazardous waste depot, citizens will have to identify themselves using a proof of residence. Due to the special security measures implemented in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic, citizens will have to present their documents through the window of their vehicle with the window mostly closed.
Citizens of Saint-André-d’Argenteuil and Saint-Placide will now be able to benefit from the full service offered by the town of Lachute’s Ecocentre. In addition, a container will be placed on site to collect material from residents of Brownsburg-Chatham.
“These new installations confirm our constant concern to protect our environment. In addition, the consolidating these services in one place constitutes a considerable improvement in services to citizens,” commented Lachute Mayor and RIADM President, Carl Péloquin.
Products accepted at the household hazardous waste depot:
- Paint and stain containers (empty or full)
- Used oils and containers
- Antifreezes (glycol) and containers
- Automotive batteries
- Batteries and small batteries
- Propane tanks
- Compact fluorescent and neon lightbulbs
- Any dangerous household product such as glue, tar, chlorine, gasoline, etc.
Other important instructions related to household hazardous waste disposal:
- Accepted products such as oils, paints, pesticides, antifreeze, compact fluorescent, neon, razors, and original household technological devices must be left on the table provided under the supervision of the attendant.
- It is important to check the containers before leaving the house to make sure there are no leaks.
- The attendant cannot, in any case, unload or help unload a vehicle.
- Due to the special measures currently in place, a two metre distance between each person must kept at all times.
For more information on the products accepted at the depot, please refer to the website of the RIADM: http://www.riadm.ca/index.php/nos-activites/residus-domestiques-dangereux/
The municipal Ecocentre and the household hazardous waste depot are located at 507 rue Catherine in Lachute.