The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) East Region Snowmobile ATV Vessel Enforcement (SAVE) Unit would like to take this opportunity to remind ATV users of some basic safety guidelines.
With the spring thaw it is important to recognize that ice is more unsafe and unpredictable than even a few weeks ago. This also means the shutdown of the recognized snowmobile trails, many of which are on private property. The current pandemic also brings with it a potential lack of resources. Many small businesses and gas stations with trail access may be operating on reduced schedules or not operating at all. Please check before you head out to avoid being stranded. The OPP SAVE team remains fully committed to our mandate of creating the safest trails and waterways possible through education, enforcement and proactive patrols. To make your day as safe and fun as possible;
- Exercise caution and ride within laws that are designed to keep you safe while operating any type of off-road vehicle (ORV).
- Riders and passengers must always wear a securely fastened and approved helmet.
- Do not consume alcohol, operating an ATV while impaired incurs the same penalties as driving a vehicle while impaired.
- Always ensure you are legally allowed to ride the area you are in.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you will be returning.
- Remember cell service is not always available along the trails.
- Wear protective clothing and footwear, keep in mind weather can change quickly this time of year.