Music Monday happened five days early in Vankleek Hill.
On Thursday, May 2, students from the four Vankleek Hill schools: St. Jude Catholic Elementary School, Pleasant Corners Public School (PCPS), École élémentaire catholique St-Grégoire, and Vankleek Hill Collegiate Institute (VCI) gathered at St. Jude School for the local version of Music Monday, a day to celebrate the importance of music education in schools.
Music Monday is an annual event coordinated by the Coalition for Music Education; the first such event took place in 2005. The official Monday was May 6, but the Vankleek Hill schools celebrated “Music Thursday” on May 2. Local piano teacher Ian Hepburn is the organizational inspiration behind the event along with the music teachers at each school. The students spent the first part of the day in various training and practice sessions, and in the afternoon, assembled for a concert. St-Gregoire, St. Jude, and PCPS provided vocals, guitarists, ukuleles, and xylophones, while VCI and PCPS also supplied some powerful brass, bass, and drums. The repertoire included songs by Queen and Chicago—two bands that were around long before the performers were born!
You could win TWO weekend passes, value of $90, to Beau’s Oktoberfest 2019!
To enter, follow these simple instructions:
- Take a photo at our selfie station outside of our offices at 76 Main Street E, then post it on Facebook or Instagram.
- Use hashtag #VKHReviewContest in your post.
- Tag us in your photo! @vkhreview
Be sure to follow @vkhreview on Instagram and Facebook! Contest ends September 16, 2019 at 12 p.m. A random winner will be chosen and announced on our social media pages. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram or Facebook.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
READ LOCAL. LOVE LOCAL. PLAY LOCAL.
Latest posts by James Morgan (see all)
- Residents object to resort proposal in Wentworth, call for mayor’s resignation - September 11, 2019
- Ministry of Health officials visit UCPR to discuss ambulance calls outside territory - September 5, 2019
- Flag crosses Canada by Jeep for food banks - September 4, 2019