The Hawkesbury OPP wish to remind citizens to lock their vehicles at all times, and to remove any valuables as unlocked vehicles were being entered and items stolen.
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it’s running
- If you have a garage, use it. Lock the vehicle and the garage doors
- Never leave your vehicle keys in plain view or easily accessible
- Always park in a busy, well-lit area
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in plain view
Over the years, officers have noticed that thieves will try out car doors and will eventually pass to the next vehicle if the doors are locked. They are looking for a quick easy grab. Minimize the opportunities and you will reduce the risk of becoming a victim.
The Hawkesbury OPP Auxiliary unit will undertake the Lock it or Lose it initiatives, a Crime Prevention Program to help prevent thefts from motor vehicles, by inspecting vehicles in driveways and commercial parking lots, and handing out information leaflets to residents on how to protect their vehicles.
Remember, if you see something, say something….If you see suspicious behaviour or person approaching your vehicle or roaming the area, call the Hawkesbury OPP at 1-888-310-1122.