The Clarence-Rockland Fire Department and the Ontario Fire Marshall have completed a preliminary investigation following the March 16 fire on Caron Street and the probable cause has been deemed accidental. Investigators were unable to locate any sign of working smoke alarms in the property.
“Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family of the victim in this tragic fire,” said Fire Chief Brian Wilson.
“These situations are difficult for everyone.”
Chief Wilson reminds all residents, “Working smoke alarms are critical to surviving a fire in your home. These days, you only have a few minutes to escape a house fire. Every second counts.”
Under provincial law, working smoke alarms are required on all levels of a home in addition to outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are also required in houses with natural gas, propane or wood burning appliances, or with an attached garage. Under the Fire Code, fines for non-compliance are $360.
EXPERIENCE Vankleek Hill
Do you enjoy reading local news as it happens? Then NOW is the time to subscribe! We have a FABULOUS subscription offer for you!!! SUBSCRIBE to our print and e-edition for only 81 cents per week, that’s just $42 (HST incl) per year! Then choose your $5 voucher to redeem at a LOCAL business. Participating businesses are: Apex Escape Rooms, Beau’s Brewery, Broken Kettle Bakery & Barkery, Jade Garden, Nicko’s Resto Bar, Pink Bow Tie, Trillium Tea Room, Vankleek Cottage and VKH Massage Clinic.
Act now. An offer this good won’t last long!
CLICK HERE to subscribe and choose your voucher.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
Latest posts by Louise Sproule (see all)
- Fourteen-year-old Morrisburg youth missing since March 17 - March 21, 2019
- If your project could affect a watershed or water course, contact South Nation Conservation first - March 18, 2019
- Help for harps used by youths and seniors - March 18, 2019