What an exciting series between the Vankleek Hill Cougars and Gatineau Hull Volant! Game 5 is this Friday (March 4) in Gatineau and I am cheering for the Cougars to advance and give us more playoff junior hockey in Vankleek Hill this season!
It has been four months since I joined the Cougars organization and I have been having lots of fun ever since. I really love working for this hockey team. It has made my hockey world fun again and I get good compliments on my hockey stats, which means a lot to me.
I remember back in September of 2021, I was looking to do stats for local teams around Vankleek Hill area. On November 26, I received a text asking if I wanted to join the Vankleek Hill Cougars Junior Hockey Organization. I accepted and have been enjoying my Junior C Hockey life ever since.
Junior A hasn’t been the same for me the past two years. It’s been tough for me without Lou around because he helped me out a lot, but I make it to as many home games as I can. I have been going to Cougars games for many years and it is part of my hockey tradition. It’s my favorite hockey to watch!
Castors’ Camirand named NCJHL MVP, Cougars’ Renaud Best Defensive Forward
Goaltender Corey Camirand of the Clarence Castors was named as the National Capital Junior Hockey League’s (NCJHL) Most Valuable Player last week. Camirand played 962 minutes during the regular season for Clarence, with 13 wins, three losses and three shootout losses. He recorded an outstanding 2.43 Goals Against Average.
The Cougars Joshua Renaud was named the NCJHL’s Best Defensive forward and I was honored to present him with the trophy between the first and second period of Saturday’s home playoff game against the Gatineau-Hull Volant. Although known for his defensive play, Joshua was also pretty good at the other end of the ice this season, recording 11 goals and 11 assists for 22 points in 22 games.
Reporting runs in the family
There was a time where my great-grandfather used to write in the Campbellton, New Brunswick, local newspaper. My two uncles on my father’s side of the family also wrote for newspapers, which makes me the fourth person on my Dad’s side of the family to be writing in the newspaper. It’s kind of neat that my Dad mentioned this to me.
I am enjoying my time at doing the things that I do and Reid and I make a great team. I really enjoy our partnership, friendship and teamwork!
Briefly from the hockey world
– Auston Matthews of the Toronto Maple Leafs has 76 goals in his last 100 games.
– Alberta Junior Hockey League history! Last week Zach Bookman of the Brooks Bandits became the first AJHL defenceman to score 101 points in a season. He broke the AJHL scoring record for a defenceman that was set in 1977-78!
– Elizabeth Mantha also made history history over the weekend, as the first female ever to referee in a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game. Mantha was on the ice on Saturday, February 26, as one of two referees at the centre d’excellence Sports Rousseau in Blainville-Boisbriand, where the hometown Armada fell 3-2 to the visiting Rouyn-Noranda Huskies.
– Samuel Montembeault became the first Quebec-born goaltender to have a shutout with the Montreal Canadiens since Yann Danis did it on October 12, 2005, against the Atlanta Thrashers) and the first one at the Bell Centre since Jose Theodore on February 28, 2004 against the Carolina Hurricanes. Montembeault stopped all 32 shots in a 4-0 win vs the Sabres on February 23.
– Winchester Hawks defenceman Daniel Beauchemin played in his first CCHL Game for the Ottawa Junior Senators on February 23.