As floodwaters continue to recede along the Ottawa River, the Township of Alfred and Plantagenet is still monitoring areas that were affected.
“We’re not doing that bad,” said Mayor Stéphane Sarrazin.
He explained that 22 properties in the Presqu’île area were most affected, and that six houses actually have had water in them.
Many of the affected properties are former summer cottages that have become permanent homes.
By Friday, approximately 20,000 sandbags had been filled and distributed for use on the affected properties. Students from École secondaire catholique de Plantagenet helped fill almost 3,000 sandbags last week, in addition to the work being done by other volunteers and township public works employees.
“Everybody really chipped in,” said Sarrazin.
Prescott-Russell Emergency Services, Valoris, and Hawkesbury General Hospital also offered their services for flood victims if they were needed.
Affected residents could also get assistance from the Red Cross which had set up an emergency centre in Clarence-Rockland.
Sarrazin acknowledged patience ran low at times for some waterfront residents and there was some criticism over a shortage of sandbags.
The Ontario government is now seeking information from property owners so it can determine the financial compensation they can receive.
Sarrazin questioned if there should be limits on how much municipalities have for assistance to flood victims.
He said that the approximately 4,000 taxpayers in the township cannot carry the cost for approximately 30 residents.
The mayor added that the federal government should also be playing a role in flood assistance and prevention because it has rights-of-way on the Ottawa River.
You could win TWO weekend passes, value of $90, to Beau’s Oktoberfest 2019!
To enter, follow these simple instructions:
- Take a photo at our selfie station outside of our offices at 76 Main Street E, then post it on Facebook or Instagram.
- Use hashtag #VKHReviewContest in your post.
- Tag us in your photo! @vkhreview
Be sure to follow @vkhreview on Instagram and Facebook! Contest ends September 16, 2019 at 12 p.m. A random winner will be chosen and announced on our social media pages. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram or Facebook.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
READ LOCAL. LOVE LOCAL. PLAY LOCAL.
Latest posts by James Morgan (see all)
- Residents object to resort proposal in Wentworth, call for mayor’s resignation - September 11, 2019
- Ministry of Health officials visit UCPR to discuss ambulance calls outside territory - September 5, 2019
- Flag crosses Canada by Jeep for food banks - September 4, 2019