The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and Sûreté du Québec (SQ) have arrested and charged 20 people after breaking a major cocaine and methamphetamine trafficking network in Hawkesbury, Grenville, and the surrounding area.
More than 160 officers took part in the February 6 raids where warrants were executed at nine residences in Ontario and five in Québec.
According to eyewitness reports, some of the residences were on Rue King and 2ieme Avenue in Grenville, and on the 2nd Concession in Grenville-sur-la-Rouge.
Police seized more than 3,000 methamphetamine (speed) tablets, more than half a kilogram of cocaine, 16 fentanyl patches, a variety of other illegal drugs and paraphernalia associated with drug trafficking.
A large amount of Canadian and United States currency, cell phones, three firearms with ammunition, prohibited weapons and devices, and five vehicles were also seized.
The arrests and charges resulted from an eight-month investigation that began in summer, 2018, dubbed Project Amberjack.
The OPP’s Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU), Emergency Response Team (ERT), Canine Unit (K9), and the SQ Regional Mixte Unit were involved with the operation and were also assisted by officers from the MRC Deux Montagnes police.
“The OPP and our law enforcement partners are committed to taking illegal drugs off the streets and relentlessly pursuing those who provide drugs to local dealers. We are not done yet,” said Superintendent Bryan McKillop of the OPP Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau.
The following people were charged under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and under the Criminal Code of Canada;
Charged for Conspiracy to Commit Indictable Offence:
- Martin LADOUCEUR, 30 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Denis TASSÉ, 34 years-old, of Lachute, QC
- Corey VIGER, 30 years-old, of Deux-Montagnes, QC
Charged for Trafficking in Schedule I substance- Cocaine
- Marc-Andre PROULX, 24 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Michel MENARD, 59 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Salah SIBERA, 52 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Daniel BROWN, 44 years-old, of Vankleek Hill, ON
- Sylvain CATER, 48 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Gilles DEGROBOIS, 36 years-old, of Grenville, QC
- Ozzy CAMPBELL, 28 years-old, of Grenville, QC
Charged for Trafficking in Schedule I substance- Methamphetamine:
- Eric CUERRIER, 27 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Stephane CYR, 48 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Eric VILLENEUVE, 35 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Laurier Sr MAHEU, 53 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Paulette PLOUFFE, 48 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
- Wayne BARON, 47 years-old, of Hawkesbury, ON
According to the OPP, one arrest is still pending, and two additional accused are scheduled to appear in court in Québec.
The investigation is continuing, and more charges are pending.
Latest posts by James Morgan (see all)
- Proponents of non-profit senior housing in Vankleek Hill return to Champlain council with requests - September 19, 2019
- Bye-bye to bank machines in Brownsburg and St-André-d’Argenteuil - September 17, 2019
- Georgia Dawood wants Champlain to get composting - September 17, 2019