Have you ever wondered if you should buy an existing business or start a new one? It is important to thoroughly weigh your business goals, market opportunities before making
an acquisition and evaluate your risk tolerance beforehand.
This being said, here is a list of “pros” and “cons” of buying a business:
1. Track record: Buying a business gives you an established customer base, an experienced team, an operation mode and a business plan.
2. Financing: The assets of the company you are buying, either inventory, equipment, building, etc. can be used to help secure your financing needed for the purchase.
3. Income: The business already has existing sales and maybe even profits. It takes time for a new company to become profitable.
4. Market knowledge: Acquisition may be a good strategy if you want to expand into a geographic location where you lack contacts and knowledge and/or a new industry.
5. Vendor assistance: Existing owners often help finance the purchase of their business by providing financing.
1. Poor fit: It can be difficult to find an existing business that is compatible with your culture and business goals.
2. Integration challenges: Integrating a new company into your existing operations can be harder than expected. Expected payoffs often don’t materialize as quickly as planned.
3. Vision conflict: It may be harder to impose your vision on a company that already has its own culture and history.
4. Dependence on the old guard: A rocky ownership change can prompt key staff to leave and imperil customer relationships.
Whatever your decision, the project will have a greater chance of succeeding if you have a clear, detailed understanding of why you are proceeding and how the venture will meet your business goals.
Mr. Benoit Brunette,
Centre Entrepreneurship Centre Prescott-Russell,
613-675-4661, ext. 8106
This article was submitted and sponsored by Centre Entrepreneurship Centre Prescott-Russell.
The Review presents…Vankleek Hill Summer of Fun!
Great things happen for members of The Review!
Weekly prize draws for our members every Thursday during the month of July!
Use code SUMMERFUNVKH for $10 off your new one-year subscription or renewal!
Join today! Offer expires July 31st, 2019.
There are many ways to subscribe. CLICK HERE to subscribe online (be sure to enter promo code SUMMERFUNVKH). Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Irene at 1-877-678-3327 ext. 1002. We look forward to hearing from you!
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
READ LOCAL. LOVE LOCAL. PLAY LOCAL.