The Nation municipality has announced this year’s capital projects based on the budget approved by council. The total capital budget for the year is about $18.5 million, five times higher than last year’s $3.7 million.
The increase is due to the construction of a new municipal garage and salt dome totaling about $3 million, as well as the third phase of a water and sewer upgrade in Limoges, which includes building a new $1.4-million reservoir and $4-million upgrades to the lagoon system.
Here are the announced projects with budgeted cost:
- Du Parc Street (Fournier)—$57,700
- Besner Road—$140,000
- Route 400 East—$276,000
- Du Boisée Street—$50,000
- Route 500 East—$40,000
- Dolorès Street (Limoges)—$177,000
- The shoulder of Ste-Catherine Street and Limoges Road will be paved in collaboration with UCPR—$40,000
Union Street in Fournier and Bénévoles Street in Limoges were also listed as approved paving projects, but they are not currently listed in the approved budget. The Review has asked the municipality for the cost of these projects.
- A sidewalk will be added to Limoges Road (from l’Érablière street to the Health Hub)—$59,675
- Séguinbourg Road—10 streetlights
- Route 400—10 streetlight
The lights total $30,000 with a $7,000 transfer from Ward 4 reserves for a net $23,000.
The projects outlined above total $863,375 (not counting Union Street and Bénévoles Street). When approving this year’s budget, council allocated $1.4 million to roads, sidewalks and street lights.
Finally, a water main that will cost $213,000 will be brought in on Bernard Street.
The Nation will also be receiving $53,033 for upgrades to the St-Albert community centre and the baseball diamond in Rodolphe Latreille Park in Limoges.
The funding comes as part of the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program administered by FedDev Ontario.
EXPERIENCE Vankleek Hill
Do you enjoy reading local news as it happens? Then NOW is the time to subscribe! We have a FABULOUS subscription offer for you!!! SUBSCRIBE to our print and e-edition for only 81 cents per week, that’s just $42 (HST incl) per year! Then choose your $5 voucher to redeem at a LOCAL business. Participating businesses are: Apex Escape Rooms, Beau’s Brewery, Broken Kettle Bakery & Barkery, Jade Garden, Nicko’s Resto Bar, Pink Bow Tie, Trillium Tea Room, Vankleek Cottage and VKH Massage Clinic.
Act now. An offer this good won’t last long!
CLICK HERE to subscribe and choose your voucher.
Thank you for supporting local, independent community journalism!
Latest posts by Francis Tessier-Burns (see all)
- La Nation $250K ‘settlement’ payment raises more questions than answers - January 8, 2019
- More for less: municipalities still facing tough policing costs - December 28, 2018
- Did you know that 70 per cent of students in our region eat breakfast at school? - December 13, 2018