A fire left five families and a local business homeless in Casselman on Wednesday.
The CBC reported local fire Chief Alain Ménard saying freezing rain and high winds caused a hydro wire to break. The live wire landed on the roof of the multi-use building at 731 Principale street that housed Ray Jans Windows and Doors, and five apartment units.
Firefighters waited about an hour before Hydro Ottawa arrived to shut off power; Hydro workers were already busy restoring power to the area.
By then, the fire had spread throughout the building forcing crews to demolish it.
No one was hurt.
While you are here, we have a small ask.
More people are reading The Review than ever before — across our many platforms. So far, we have not put up a paywall to limit the stories you can read. We want to keep you in the news loop. But advertising revenues are increasingly going to the big two: you know who they are. If you value The Review’s independent, local community journalism, or you value the many ways we support dozens of community organizations in their endeavours, consider supporting our work. It takes time, effort and professional smarts to stay on top of community news and present well-researched, objective news articles on issues which matter to you.
If you read stories on this website, or you have come here from an Instant Article post on Facebook, think about subscribing. It would be a vote of confidence for the work that we do, and for the future well-being of your community.
Latest posts by Francis Tessier-Burns (see all)
- UCPR unsympathetic to residence operations review results - November 20, 2018
- Blue is the new white: Prescott-Russell ambulances changing lights - November 19, 2018
- More than 1,000 families now on Prescott-Russell housing services waitlist - November 12, 2018